May 10, 2015

Mother's Day Lesson

Mother's Day Lesson

Intro: 
With it being Mother's Day, I decided to do a lesson on moms.  A mother's job requires a lot and is a very important position. 

A while back the first presidency said : 

"Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels." 

Ask: what does this quote mean? 

It a pretty important job. I'm sure sometimes our moms feel overwhelmed with their responsibilities.


  1. A Mother Teaches

Think for a minute of everything your mom has taught you. 

If I asked you to make a list of everything your mom has taught you, it would take too long.  You would never be able to finish the list. I have a questionnaire that I want you all to fill out.  Try to give specific examples to answer each question.

Questionnaire: A Mother Teaches
My mother taught me the mechanics of life by…
My mom taught me the difference between right and wrong by...
My mom taught me the value of education by...
My mom taught me to share my talents by…
My mom taught me the importance of work by…
My mom encouraged a relationship with my heavenly father by…


  1. Scriptures
There are a lot of examples of mothers in the Scriptures. 

Ask: Can you name a few?
    Eve, Mary, Mary (John the Baptist mom), Sariah (Nephi's mom)

There is a story in Alma about Two Thousand Young Warriors 

Watch: Heleman’s Stripling Warriors Chapter 2 (Living Scriptures)
  
Read: Alma 56:47-48

"Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.  
And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it." (Alma 56: 47--48)

Ask: What can we learn from this story about the role of a mom?


  1. Moms Make Us Better
A mom’s job isn't easy. They are expected to teach us so many things. Sometimes they nag us and boss us around. And sometimes they teach us things that we don't think are important. 

Ask: Why do you think they nag us, boss us around, and teach us things that we don’t think are important?
Because they love us and they want to prepare us for when we get older. 

Personal Experience: My Grandma Kathy died. I watched my mom be really sad. She loved and depended on her mom for a lot of things. The thing I remember most is that my grandma loved to tell us her favorite scripture. 

Read: 3 John 1:4 
"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth". 

Our moms would do anything for us. When we listen to them and make good choices, it makes them happy. We are special to them and they love us. They are here to help us become better. 

Abraham Lincoln said; "all that I am and all that I hope to be i owe to my angel mother."


Conclusion: Letter to Mom
I think the best gift we can give to our moms is a letter thanking her for all she is done.  I think she’d love to see how she has taught each of us.  So on the back of the paper with the questions will you write a letter to your mom?

I will turn on this video to watch as your writing your letter and when you are finished you can just watch the video.  

Watch: Stripling Warriors - Russ Biehn




No comments:

Post a Comment